Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Resolutions everywhere!

Hello! Its been quite a while!

I've been motivated to post today because those I love and follow have been posting such great New Year's lists and resolutions. (also my boss is out of the office and I'm on the morning shift yay!) So now it's my turn!

My New Year's resolutions last year consisted of...
1. Working on my fitness.
- Yes, I did work on it. I went to Karate. No, I didn't go as often as I should go, but I never stopped going all together. I'm stronger and fitter now than I was last year. I'm an orange belt and I don't regret the hundreds of dollars I've devoted to United Studios of Self Defense, nor do I regret having to be a cheap slut on a budget to keep doing this. Now I'm quitting for a few months to get my school life together, but I made a decision to still go to my cardio class there two days a week so I'm not tempted to just quit all together. I'm on weight watchers. Yeah, thats ALSO hard. Yes, I've been pretty bad lately. But if I just keep tracking, and holding on to Woody's hand when I want to go overboard, I should be able to loose weight. I just want to change my habits, not become half the person I am. So I'll be keeping this resolution.
2. Working on my debt.
- Tis done! I got all my shit paid. I'm not getting calls from collection agencies, or multi colored notices in the mail. If there's any advice I'd give those cheap sluts in debt I'd say DON'T wait for those pretty notices to come in the mail. Be proactive. Call your collectors explain the situation and get your ass in gear to pay it back. They do want their money, and they DO accept payments. Its not fun being buried under those notices.
Despite having gotten rid of all my crazy ass debt, I do have a credit card that is maxed out. I'd like to get that paid off before the year is out. So this is also staying on the resolution list.
3. Saving for my back tattoo.
- This resolution started out so well! I was saving 20-40 dollars a month for this. Then ace got sick, and bills piled up and it got pushed to the side. Truthfully, I think this might come off my list this year because I've got so much on my plate that is just more important. Ink is fun, expensive and not nearly as much of a priority as getting my life together.
4. Continuing my education.
- This I did! Got my diploma from UCSC, got my last few classes finished, applied to grad school (didn't get in) and now have looked over my options and shall apply again to more grad schools. I've taken that step to quit USSD for a few months so that I can expediate the grad school financial proccess without pulling out all my hair. This one's a keeper!
5. Streamlining my life.
- Not so much. I started this blog as a move to track and give advice to those who are moving. In Feburary I've got plans to move in with my boyfriend. I'm nervous and excited all at once. I'm also stressed knowing that my space in his apartment is so limited, that I am surely not going to fit all my crap. Which means I'm actually going to have to streamline my life for real. This is a must for this year's resolutions.
6. Working on great skin.
-If by working on great skin this year I mean I increased my sunscreen intake then yes, I worked on great skin. Lancome is just so expensive! Even with my Partner In Crime's employee discount. Sunscreen is really the key for the summer (you're future face will thank you), and moisturizer is key for the winter.
7. Writing in my paper journal more.
- Fail. I just need to be doing this or blogging more. I can't decide.
8. Reading more edifying books.
- Fail. Edifying books are sometimes NO FUN! So this is another maybe.
9. Stop being such a crazy ass girlfriend.
- Success! With my 2008 goal (Dont be a fucking doormat. Communicate. Be everything you want in others. Dont be afraid of confrontation.) such a success, I've really been able to open up and not make the same mistakes I've made with past relationships. I've never had such a healthy amazing love life in never!

So it looks like we've got...
1. working on my fitness.
2. work on debt.
3. continue my education
4. streamline my life
these added to...
5. drink more water.
- at least 96 ounces a day. Being hydrated is so important to great skin. I love the fact that I don't have to wear too much foundation at this time in my life. With the amount that everyone my age drinks its even MORE important to hydrate, and I've fallen off the wagon of late with leaving my reusable waterbottle at home. (Slut on a budget hint on where to get a eco bottle cheap? Walgreens!)
6. blog more.
- Because I love this shit!
7. drink less booze.
- Alchoholism runs in my family. My grandfather had it, and my great uncle had it. I realize that yep, I like booze a little too much. So honestly, I'm going to try and cut back on it. (just think about those extra calories saved!)

I think I've got a good amount of work ahead of me.

I'll now admit to you a guilty pleasure, lists. I love them. All kinds! I especially love year end lists. I've found some pretty awesome lists of things this year that I'd like to share with you!

Best Books of 2009
Souless by Gail Carriger - A novel of Vampires, Werewolves and Parasols. Steampunk, romance, paranormal suspense? I'm so in. 181 pages into the book and its already a keeper!
Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzzane Collins - by far my new favorite series. This is what I'd rather my kids read than Twilight. Post apocolyptic society pits teens against each other to fight to the death. Heroine is fiesty and flawed. I love her. Not a big fan of the cliffhangers but... I'll forgive Suzzane Collins.
Jo Beverly - for the win all year. I powered through her romance series this year and I regret not one moment. I like historical romance with a high end of sexual tension.
SkippyJohn Jones by Judith Byron Schachner- Red this in Seattle for PAX and FELL IN LOVE with this children's book set. A siamese kitten who thinks he's a chihuahua who journeys into his closet for adventures with his chihuahua friends? Score!
Babar's Musem of Art - something I'm sure to read to my kids.
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie- I loved this romance so much I read it twice in two weeks. It was that good!
Coraline by Neil Gamien- Errie and powerful. Had nightmares not going to lie.
Pride Prejudice and Zombies - While I cannot condone Sense, Sensibility and Seamonsters, I LOVED this one.

Best Beauty, Health and Food Discoveries of 2009
Smashbox Heartbreaker Liquid Liner Pen (http://www.smashbox.com/HEARTBREAKER-LIQUID-LINER-PEN) - I've been way in love with eyeliner. Especially 1960's era eyeliner. The thicker the better. My eyes love it! This pen is SOOOOO EASY! Its like a felt tipped pen! It goes on smooth and its not messy at all!
Getting your hair professionally dyed - it makes such a difference!
bosu ball - if you havent tried this at the gym you MUST. Its a ball with a flat bottom that helps you work your core. Your core helps your posture, walk and balance. I have a love hate relationship with this thing. Use it whenever you'd be on the floor working out. Crunches, push ups, even weights (when turned over and used as a balance board) are about a million times harder on this thing.
ea sports active - harder than I was expecting. Good for a rainy day but probably not a subsitution for your regular workout.
Honey crisp apples - Mmm. My favorite apples, only in season in the winter time. Perfect for eating whole.
Red lipstick- So I never felt comfortable wearing read lipstick until just recently. I had a dress that just screamed for some red accents and my heels were just not doing it. The trick? Try on every single shade of red you possibly can. I am a fan of Lancome's L'Absolu Rouge in Absolute Rouge and Revlon's Matte Lipstick in Really Red. Both of these are orange based that go great with my skin tone and are matte or not super shiney. The shine makes my lips look thin. Alot of people get nervous about wearing red because they buy the wrong color. Wearing the right shade of red will give you a super great boost of confidence.
Vintage and short wedding dresses - I know, I probably SHOULDN'T be thinking about wedding dresses. Its really quite horrible. BUT, when I give into the impuse I keep coming back to Dolly Couture's and Whirling Turban's wedding dresses. They are just so goddamn cute! And tailored to your size since they are custom made. That might put some people off but... not me!

Best Movies and TVof 2009
Star Trek - the newest movie. Underlying sexual tension between Kirk and Spock? Count me in. I don't care if no one else sees it.
The Office - Old news to some, but this series on Netflix on my computer keeps me sane in the Jesus library late at night
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Another oldie but goodie. I love wasting time on this show.
Watchmen - Alien penis? Score! And despite the die hard comic lover's hate, I really found it at good adaption.
Coraline - Not in 3D! Just as fucking creepy as the book. Jeeze I'll have nightmares about Terri Hatcher's voice for years. Although I do love her pencil skirt.
1990's xmen on DVD - How can I not indulge (FINALLY) in my childhood love of Rouge and Gambit?

Best Websites of 2009
Souless by Gail Carriger - I already gushed about the book. This promotional website is just as awesome. Victorian paper dolls online? YES! So many times yes!
Tastespotting.com - I love this cooking website so much. So many pretty pictures! So many personal blogs. It makes it easy and accessable to first time cooker, me!
Craftzine.com - Always a win for some crafty gift ideas.
BlazedandConfused on Twitter - So you know those ridiculous Harlequin Blaze romances you see in the market and in the used book store? BlazedandConfused tweets the best lines from whatever they are reading at the moment. Hilarity ensues every time I read their tweets.
Smart Bitches, Trashy Books - I can never ever stop gushing about how much I love this blog. Its everything I could ever want!


Best Events of 2009
Disney's Give a Day Get a Day - Technically, its a 2010 event, but I found out about it in 2009. I always thought the "Celebrate your birthday with Disney" was kinda lame, but this new gimmick is totally awesome! Volunteer and get a free day at Disneyland. You'll what Disneyland? You'll *pay* me to volunteer? Score! Add that to the fact that the Jesus library will allow me to take a day with pay to volunteer and its a double score!
Hockey Games - I don't care which team. But I love them, I need to go to more.
Zombie Walks - Also another thing I need to do more.
The Alternative Press Expo - A beautiful fun, less cracktastic alternative to Comic-Con 2009. Sure you won't get the cast of Twilight, but who wants that at their comic book convention? Not me! Support small press and self published authors!
Demolition Derbys and the OC fair - an epic win all around. I did not expect to enjoy 30 minutes of cars crashing into each other but I was SO wrong.
Grand Torino drinking game - Ok, here are the rules, you can only drink Pabst Blue Ribbon and you have to drink whenever Clint Eastwood: shoots someone with his hand, says something racist, the Grand Torino is shown, he drinks a PBR or growls/grunts. It may not seem like much to go on, but by the end of the movie, you'll be falling down drunk.
Ink and Iron Festival - Such a good night! Tattoo expo on the Queen Mary? Live bands? Booze. So good! So fun!

I've just realized how long this is. Ok, I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment