Well, baking specifically.
One of my FAVORITE things to do.
I made Glazed Apple Oatmeal Muffins last night since I had nothing to do after work.
I had most of the ingredients at home except unflavored oatmeal, lemons and granny smith apples. This was such an easy recipe to make but they didn't come out as nicely as they should.
As you can see they are a bit flat. Compared to the blog above's picture, they are pretty lame. They tasted amazing, but were heavy and not light and fluffy as muffins should be.They tasted really apple-y, with just a hint of the lemon bite in the lemon/sugar glaze.
I attribute this heaviness to the fact that I may have overmixed the batter, the apples were a tiny bit too juicy, or I may have not cooked them for long enough.
The problem with baking is that one has to be VERY careful about the steps. In some cooking you cant just skip steps, but with baking, there's no cutting corners. Adding an egg when you should have waited till after you combine flour and liquid mixture, is sure to be a disaster. Like I did with my poor lemon chiffon cake, jiggled like jello but with an egg consistency all because I added an extra egg white too early. I'm determined to get these muffins to be light, and fluffy. I have one more granny smith apple waiting at home that I'm going to use to bake another batch on Monday.
Earlier that morning I made The Boyfriend and I french toast. I don't know why I even bother with it anymore. I cannot for the life of me make presentable french toast or pancakes. (Although I did find a recipe for beer pancakes which would be amazing with the Belmont Brewery's Strawberry Blonde Ale) I think I'm just going to stop attempting cute, healthy, breakfast in bed kind of breakfasts. I'm Mexican, and can refry beans and fry potatos like no one's business. My grandma makes this amazing breakfast dish with triangles of corn tortillas and scrambled eggs so its like you have tortilla chips in your scrambled eggs! So totally not healthy for you, but god, so good!
But tonight, once I get out of work, I'm going to make goat cheese twice baked potatoes. And I keep hoping I wont screw up.

No comments:
Post a Comment