Thursday, April 30, 2009

Not About Moving, Beauty, Baking or Romance.

This one's about diet food.

Like most of the American female population I freak out about my weight. When I'm single I totally freak out about my weight. But since I'm in a relationship, this is the first time I'm attempting to balance that "Fat and Happy" mindset that I usually get with my issues about being more than a little plus sized.

I've been taking Karate at the United Studios of Self Defense for 9 months. I've lost an inch all the way around and ten pounds. I attempt to go three times a week. On a good week I'll go four times, but usually I skip Wednesday because of Happy Hour at the Belmont Brewing Company. After a hard night of drinking I just want to sleep in till 10 and be sucked into The Boyfriend's bed. When I fall off the wagon and don't go, I notice I'm more moody, sad, and prone to tears. I'm not the best at the actual martial art by any means, but working out three times a week makes me feel like a million bucks.

I also love to cook. If I could cook every weekend I'd be a very very happy woman. I also think, if I cooked more I'd be less likely to pig out on stuff. When I bake, I never want to eat anything I bake, its almost as if, while baking that delicious cake, cookie or brownie, I force out the desire for it. But sadly, with my very awkward schedule and budget living (Mostly my crappy schedule) I am unable to cook. So I don't eat as healthy as I'd like to. But recently I've found a few ways to skirt the corners when packing my own lunches and snacking on things I totally shouldn't be eating.

1. Sarah Lee's 45 Calories and Delightful Sandwich Bread.
I literally can't eat any other bread (except beer bread) with my sandwiches without feeling disgustingly full. This bread comes in four flavors; Honey Wheat, White, Wheat, and Multi Grain. I've only tasted the honey wheat myself, which has a hint of sweetness where the others do not. It does have a SLIGHT tendency to stick to the roof of your mouth if your sandwich is a bit damp from veggies, but doesn't taste rubbery or diet-y at all!

2. Kettle Brand Baked Potato Chips. In Hickory Honey BBQ.
OMG. I love crunchy things. Chips and crackers are like my biggest weakness at bonfires and get togethers. Add dips and cheeses and I want to fucking die! I love love love Kettle Brand's Buffalo Blu with a fucking passion, but they are SO fatty. These Hickory Honey BBQ chips have only 140 calories for 20 chips and don't taste like the nasty Baked Lays. These are a good substitute for the Buffalo Blu. They are hearty, thick chips with the tasty potato edges still on them. While yes, they have that baked snap to them, they have just enough BBQ flavor to drown out the "less fatty" part of it. I may be converted forever! Well, maybe like every other bag I buy.

3. Quaker Chewy Granola Bars in Peanut Butter and Chocolate.
I CRAVE peanut butter and chocolate like a fiend. These totally soothe my craving without making me feel "belch" as I would if I had a peanut butter cup. My only problem? Sometimes they get a little stale. Or if I leave them in my car for too long and they get cold and not as chewy to eat. Despite that, these are totally a plus for when I need that pick me up after karate. They even have ones with extra protein in them! (A plus for building healthy muscles!)

4. Reece's 100 Calorie Peanut Butter Wafer Bars.
Orgasmic! Yes, literally. When I'm craving something really chocolaty I go straight to this! Two per pack they are heavy on the peanut butter and chocolate and light on the wafer. Its just like having a peanut butter cup but not as bad for you! I try to ignore the 2.5 g of saturated fat (a bad fat, good fats are monosaturated and polysaturated) in these, and don't eat them every day. I keep meaning to try their other flavors but really, they had me at peanut butter.

5. I Cant Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
I have a wicked craving for grilled cheese sandwiches after a hang over. They are my poor man's cure, when I cant afford In N Out. This shit is amazing. I don't bake with it, but its great for grilled cheese and any other sauteing I need to do. Mmm thinking about grilled cheese makes me want to bake Billie's beer bread with the BBC's Strawberry Blonde Ale.

Speaking of beer...

6. Becks Premier Light Beer & MGD 64. (no link, because they aren't direct)
I haven't tried any of these, but if I'm sure to be drinking copious amounts of beer for beer pong, BBQ season, bonfires and the like, this is what I'm buying. I can get trashed and not have to worry about my girlish figure. (Well, kinda, they both have a low alcohol content, 2.4%) Both have 64 calories (vs Bud Light's 110 and Michelob Ultra's 94) and according to my Partner in Crime don't taste too bad. I won't be pairing it with my pizza in public (I like dark beers for that) or ordering it at my local brewery (be a locavore for that!), but in Hermosa when I want to fucking shake it, I'll stick with these two.

(p.s. awesome site this beer100.com, I guess I need to say fuck you to MDG and Becks and just drink steel reserve at 8.1%)


Ok, enough for now. Get your vitamin C guys! Oranges are in season! You're sure to get tasty ones. With pig flu (and other flu) going around lots of sleep and lots of oranges will do you wonders!

1 comment:

  1. spray butter!!! ok here's my special snack that i cant have anymore since in italy its real butter, olive oil, or niente. so take wheat bread and toast it. spray it with a healthy dose of spray butter. sprinkle some splenda and cinnamon. its like a broke (skinny) ass french toast cinnamon bun thing. num num nums.

    ReplyDelete