Thursday, September 17, 2009

Moar Books!

Went to the library today.
Got more books.

This batch:
Lady Beware - Jo Beverley - historical romance
Sugar Daddy - Lisa Klepeys - contemporary romance
Something I cant remember the title of - Lora Leigh - contemporary erotic romance

A note: I'm trying again on the Lora Leigh, every time I put the one I rented last week down i pick it back up again at a random moment and am hooked again. The story is SO slow, the characters are fucking ludicrously bad and the sex is sometimes over done. But I can see how people get hooked. I wont be one of them, but I'm willing to give it the good old college try.

I am about a fourth of the way through Lady Beware and I'm having a bit of a rough time of it. Beverly is a phenomenal writer. Her worlds are really well researched. The society reads like a history book. I am constantly putting the book down to research some historical figure or whatever poem she is alluding to. She's kinda been a hit or miss. I read one which I LOVED, and started another which I couldn't get into. This one hooked me in the first 3 pages, but I'm not sure how much I can read.

In this novel she has a major play on words in naming her characters. The hero's name is Horatio Cave. Cave is pronounced Ca-Vey which in latin is Beware. Clever huh? He gets the name Canum Cave (beware of dog) as a jibe which haunts him throughout his life. His reputation was ruined from birth, being from a very bad stock in a society which holds your forefathers and ancestors to the highest standard. When I say bad stock I mean criminal bad stock; lunacy, getting the pox from prostitutes, murder, duels, rape and very heavy gambling. He's ultimately ruined.

Enter heroine, Theodosia Debenham (gift from god). Thea is well mannered and a perfect lady. She gets embarassed by open affection and is restrained in all of her attitudes. (Dollars to donughts that Cave is going to unleash her earthier passions.) Cave helps her family out in a sticky situation and is being championed by her family for it, so that he can clear his name of past deeds.

Yay! Beverley! You've hooked me like woah! But goddamnit, this book is focused on what others think and say about the heroine and hero that I cant even get a sense on what either of them are like. Cave is a little better than Thea. I just want to punch her in the face. She's so cautious that I don't even think she can redeem herself. Any passion will just seem out of character for this cold fish who looks at Cave like he's dog food (heh heh). I am having a hard time seeing the sparks between them because Thea is so worried about what everyone else is talking about behind her back. She so busy evesdropping while floating around the ball room floor, that she is completely ignoring Cave's good looks. WTF Beverley! You better be able to save this shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment